Sunday, February 17, 2013

12 Writing Tips from George Orwell


Arguably George Orwell has written some of the best essays of the 20th century. He is famous for his novels, including Animal Farm and nineteen eighty-four In addition to reading from his work, he his writing help essay 'Politics and the English "wrote can improve, take a look at this:

When you create sentences, you can always need to ask that question to myself is:


1. What am I trying to say?
2. What words will express it?
3. What image or idiom will make it clearer?
4. Is this image fresh enough to have an effect?
5. Could I put it more shortly?
6. Have I said anything that is avoidably ugly?
When choosing words, follow those rules:
7. Never use a metaphor, simile, or other figure of speech which you are used to seeing in print.
8. Never use a long word where a short one will do.
9. If it is possible to cut a word out, always cut it out.
10. Never use the passive where you can use the active.
11. Never use a foreign phrase, a scientific word, or a jargon word if you can think of an everyday English equivalent.
12. Break any of these rules sooner than say anything outright barbarous.


3 comments:

Bes Z said...

Thanks for the tip imesh. I usually tend to focus more time on rewriting my articles than coming up with a topic, and this will now be printed as a cheat sheet to look at while I rewrite and refocus my posts.

Alister Cameron, Blog Consultant said...

This amazing is
Blog post on draft copy Orwell pointed out: I exactly on the same topic, and I'd do a similar thing as you did,
Oh ... I can do this! "Great minds alike."
Now, in this post, the new slope
- Alister

imesh said...

Alister, thanks for the nice words hehe, I will check your blog to see how you described this same topic.

Post a Comment